From July 2017 to June 2018, the charity celebrated the 500th anniversary of Richard Cloudesley’s bequest and its enduring legacy in Islington. An additional grants budget of £1.2 million was agreed to mark the anniversary. The majority of this funding was awarded to local voluntary organisations, schools and churches during 2017/18, with the balance set aside for 2018/19.
The 500th anniversary was also marked by a number of special activities and events:
* The refurbishment of Richard Cloudesley’s tomb at St Mary’s Church, Islington
* An anniversary service in commemoration of Richard Cloudesley’s gift to launch the 500th anniversary year, at which an address was given by the Bishop of Stepney
* Dr Cathy Ross undertook further research into and wrote a report on the 500 years of Richard Cloudesley’s legacy in Islington. You can download the full research report here
* The production of a history booklet and information banners, which toured all of Islington’s Church of England churches and public libraries during 2017/18
* Three performances of a specially commissioned choral work, The Stony Field, by local community choir, Vox Holloway
* Specially commissioned guided walks, Cloudesley: Cattle, Churches & Charity, developed and led by an experienced guide from the Clerkenwell & Islington Guides Association